Our Long History
After the inauguration of the Boy Scout movement in 1908, Baden-Powell encouraged a few English Scoutmasters to experiment with ways of working with boys below Boy Scout age. The first Scouting proposal for younger boys was published in the Headquarters Gazette of the British Boy Scouts Association in January, 1914. The name Junior Scouts was used originally, however, Baden-Powell recognized the need to invent a name and a theme around which a program for younger boys could be built. He found this in one of the most famous children's classics The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling. This book deals with the adventures of a boy among the animals of India. The stories include Mowgli, the boy, and Akela, the wise old wolf, head of the Pack.
Kipling was an old friend of Baden-Powell and agreed to let Baden-Powell use his jungle stories and his jungle characters as the basis of a program for younger boys. Baden-Powell's program for young Scouts first appeared in 1916 under the title The Wolf Cubs Handbook. The program was referred to as the Wolf Cubs and a boy who joined a pack became a Wolf Cub. An adult Cubmaster known as Akela was in charge of the pack. The Wolf Cub pledged himself to the Wolf Cub Promise and followed the Law of the Pack. Among themselves, Wolf Cubs greeted each other by holding up two fingers of the right hand to imitate the alert ears of a real wolf cub.
The Boy Scouts of America showed an interest in Baden-Powell's Wolf Cub program. In 1919 the American Scout organization studied it and considered the possibility of introducing it into America. During the next few years, Wolf Cub Packs patterned on Baden-Powell's English program appeared in a number of communities throughout the country. However, the demand for a younger boy program sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America grew. The Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America established a committee to study the program for younger boys and retained an American educator, Dr. H. W. Hurt, to formulate a national program. The Laura Spelman Rockefeller Memorial Foundation made available a substantial grant for an investigation of the interest and needs of younger boys which would appeal to them and yet serve the purposes of Scouting.
In the creation of a Cub Scout program for American boys, the international terms were selected wherever possible, i.e., Cubs for the boys and Cubmaster and Akela for the leaders. But the program and organization of American Cubbing became different from the British program. In Britain, many phases of Cubbing were patterned after Scouting. In America the Cub program revolved around the home and immediate neighborhood and the theme was modified to relate to American Indian lore.
On August 1, 1929, the first official Cub packs were organized to test the new program. Based on the experiences of these pack, the program was made available to all Scout Councils in 1933. Cub Pack 144 grew out of an informal gathering of approximately 100 neighborhood boys at Bryant Grade School, 3311 Northeast 60th Street, Seattle, Washington, in the fall of 1929. Included in this group were the sons of Howard Krippner. Krippner was encouraged by his sons to come to the school and help give direction to the activities of the boys who met there. From these meetings in 1929 and 1930, evolved the nucleus of the first Cub Pack 144. With Howard Krippner as Cubmaster, application was made on December 23, 1930, to the Seattle Area Council, Boy Scouts of America. The first charter was granted for the year ending December 31, 1931. Cub Pack 144 is now the oldest Cub Pack chartered by the Seattle Area Council and is one of the oldest Packs in the United States.
The camping highlight of the year is the last overnight trip to "Camp Shelton" on Cornet Bay near Deception Pass. This trip is a Pack 144 tradition which has particular historic significance. In the spring of 1933, while on a work party to Camp Parsons, Howard Krippner met Chief William Shelton of the Snohomish Tribe. A friendship developed and Chief Shelton invited Howard Krippner and the Cubs of Pack 144 to visit the Tulalip reservation and camp overnight. The Pack slept in the old Council House with its totem poles and gathered around the campfire and listened to Chief Shelton talk of Indian legends and life before the White Man.
We pay tribute to Howard Krippner in many ways and associate him with the operational policies and traditions that we enjoy today. It is appropriate that we know something about this man.
Howard Lincoln Krippner was born January 2, 1895 in Milton, Wisconsin. He held membership in the United Boys Brigades of America from May 7, 1909 until this group transferred into the Boy Scouts of America. Howard Krippner's membership certificate in the Boy Scouts of America is dated January 10, 1911. His association with Scouting in the Seattle area is highlighted as follows:
- Organized Cub Pack 144 in December 1930 and served as Cubmaster (Akela) until 1935.
- Organized Scout Troop 1650 in May 1934. Served as Scoutmaster until May 1946.
- Awarded the silver Beaver in 1943 by the Seattle Area Council. The Silver Beaver award is made by the National Council, Boy Scouts of America, to those who have rendered distinguished service to boyhood in the local council area.
- Maintained correspondence with many former Pack 144 Cubs during World War II and after.
- Remained active in Area Council and District Scouting positions, and received two additional "Silver Beaver" awards.
Howard Krippner periodically attended Cub Pack 144 events in later years as evidence of his commitment to the Scouting program. He passed away in 1982. It is the dedication of individuals like Mr. Krippner, and the participation of many parents since, that have kept the traditions of Cub Pack 144 alive for more than 90 years.